About the Data Science and AI Institute
Johns Hopkins has made a transformational investment in the power and promise of data science and artificial intelligence and is building the nation’s foremost destination for emerging applications, opportunities and challenges presented by data science, machine learning, and AI.
Anchored in the Whiting School of Engineering, the Data Science and AI Institute provides a nexus for experts from diverse disciplines who bring data science, machine learning, and AI to bear on activities across the Johns Hopkins institutions and beyond. Their research drives the foundations of data science and AI and drives applications over a wide range of areas including national security, societal safety, materials design, public health, clinical care, neuroscience, space systems, and policy.
We are redefining the potential and promise of data science and artificial intelligence in an environment that integrates ethics and the values of humanity. Our research is informed by experts whose diverse experiences and perspectives align with the communities that our technologies are intended to serve.
The Institute is built through a historic investment in:
- 80 new tenure-track faculty in the departments of Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- 30 new endowed chairs as part of the Bloomberg Distinguished Professorships program, with joint appointments across JHU divisions.
- At least 30 scientific staff members and research software engineers to support the research enterprise
- A projected 750 new PhD students
- A 500,00-square-foot state-of-the-art facility on JHU’s Homewood campus
- Computational and data infrastructure (and the associated technical staff) appropriate for an initiative of this scale